If you want to get a job on-the-air at a radio station, the first thing you'll need is a demo file to send to a Program Director. It is not that hard to create your audition or demo file if you prepare, practice and plan.
Time Required: 2 - 3 Hours
- Find a recording good audio recording source. Your best bet is a computer.
- Find and install a program to record your voice. "Audacity" is a free recording application which would be easy to use or click link below under RELATED RESOURCES)
- Install the software and attach a USB microphone to your computer. Prepare some sample scripts to include: weather, a short :30 second commercial, and maybe a promotional announcement. Unlike an "aircheck" (which is a real recording of someone on-the-air), a demo is only a simulation. Make sure you label it as such.
- Decide the order you will record your scripts in. Make sure you use a station name. If you're creating a demo for a specific station, use that station's name. Otherwise, anyone will do.
- Practice what you want to say, sound natural and sound friendly. (Tip: smile when you speak. People can tell the difference in your voice.)
- Record your voice with the scripts you have prepared.
- When you are satisfied with your presentation, mix the file down and save it to your computer.
- Call the station and ask for the name of the Program Director and his email address.
- Email your demo to the Program Director with a short introductory letter and attach your demo file and a short resume.
- Follow up with a phone call in a week.
- Program Directors are very busy. If they don't like what they hear in the first 15 seconds, they'll stop listening.
- Record your demo in the style of the station you are sending it to.
- Make sure you tell the Program Director in your letter that you are flexible in your hours.
- Accept any offer from a station. Small things always lead to bigger thing.
- Don't worry about being fancy. The Program Director understands. He bascially wants to just get an idea about you.
What You Need
- USB microphone
- Recording software
- Email access