1. Technology
Corey Deitz

WBZ Boston Names Jen Brien Overnight Host

By July 1, 2013

WBZ 1030 Newsradio in Boston announced that Jen Brien has been permanently named as the new overnight weeknight host. The Jen Brien Show will be heard from 12:00 a.m. until 5:00 a.m. ET. Brien replaces Steve LeVeille who retired last year. Brien has been filling in often for LeVeille during the search for a new host. (Screenshot: WBZ 1030 Newsradio Logo)

Jennifer "Jen" Brien is a 10-year radio veteran who has worked at various stations including WRKO/New York, WPRO/Providence, and WCOD/Cape Cod. The station says Brien's show is "...a mix of pop culture, current events, politics, and the comings and goings of people in New England."

WBZ 1030 is owned by CBS Radio which operates 126 radio stations in the U.S. WBZ is a news/talk formatted radio station and you can listen locally at 1030 AM, online, or with the Radio.com app for iOS and Android.

Comments
July 17, 2013 at 10:45 am
(1) pris says:

I do not lisen to BZat midnight now Do not like newhost!!! Been a regular for 25 years Get a nw perso PLEASE

July 21, 2013 at 9:08 am
(2) Jmcsharry says:

The choice of Jen Brien was perfect for overnight Boston. She is mature, but young thinking. She keeps the moving and is always respectful of the callers. She has a vitality that shines….excellent choice. Thank you for keeping Boston radio Boston!

July 26, 2013 at 7:46 pm
(3) PJ Duhaime says:

She has no place on radio. She cannot complete a simple sentence without verbal pauses, sound effects, cliches and random incomplete fragments. The topics she chooses to discuss might entertain small boys on the playground, but are really unfit for the air waves. Though she claims to be a moderate or an independent, her rants are straight from the Tea Party. Lastly, she complains about her life, fishing for praise or support from her listeners. Hey Jen: When you drive with a headlight out, expect to get a ticket. The cop wasn’t picking on poor little you, You broke the law.

August 5, 2013 at 12:03 am
(4) sharon says:

MCsharry cant possibly be serious. Jen B is extremely immature. She is extremely disrespectful of listeners who do not agree with her. She insists she will listen to anyone, not true. She is NOT Boston radio. (previous good guys must be rolling over in their graves ) She talks about what she wants. Poor listening skills.

August 12, 2013 at 11:10 pm
(5) Carolyn says:

Jen is possibly THE most unprofessional radio talk show host I’ve ever heard. She can barely put two sentences together and is clearly the wrong choice for WBZ. The quality of listeners AND callers has declined since she has been given the “permanent” overnight gig. People who have listened for many years can’t take her and are letting the station know…and they have stopped listening.
WBZ Boston is a major radio market and it’s hard to believe that Jen Brien was the best they could do?

August 15, 2013 at 4:16 pm
(6) Helen N says:

I am very disappointed in WBZ radio for selecting Jen Brien as the overnight talk show host. She does not listen to callers; does not complete a sentence or a thought; it seems to be all about her? Complains about her ride to and from her job; how is she going to do it in the winter? There’s just not much substance. She sounds immature – making noises and sounds?? She brags about being a “good” person and on and on……

‘BZ – please give it serious consideration to replace Jen Brien

August 16, 2013 at 12:58 pm
(7) Andrea says:

Thank you WBZ. Jen Brien is fabulous. She is just what the doctor ordered. Honest, candid and insightful. Love her program.

August 17, 2013 at 5:14 am
(8) Not A Jen Fan says:

Jen Brien is completely unsuited for the 25 hours a week overnight gig on WBZ – previously a classy station that is the oldest AM station in New England. Her politics aside (that’s NOT the issue for me), she is totally unprofessional and impossible to listen to. Her voice, her topics and her delivery are like fingernails on a blackboard. Ouch, and enough!!!

August 28, 2013 at 12:28 am
(9) Robert Grant says:

I was happy to hear this new personality taking over the overnight show,I do miss Steve Lavelle a great deal I am very happy they did not replace him with Morgan,he never takes many calls

September 4, 2013 at 10:10 am
(10) Trisha says:

I have been listening to Jen Brien for the past two weeks and I enjoy her show very much. I’m not from Boston, but I enjoy her pleasant disposition during the early morning hours.

She was an excellent choice. Speaking for five hours a night is not easy but she makes it seem easy.

I look forward to listening to her every night.

September 11, 2013 at 2:31 am
(11) Norman says:

I’m glad that WBZ has found a permanent host. Steve LaVeille was like part of my family, especially when Mel Simons was a guest. I’m glad Mel Simons is going to become a regular feature. The family feeling is back again. Thanx WBZ, Norman

September 13, 2013 at 6:46 am
(12) Glenn Bassist says:

Jen Brien is the epitome of poor quality radio programming. Immature, vulgar, needy, filthy & disgusting topic matter. Not to mention her inability to complete a sentence of stay on topic. I’m a DX’er of many many years, and this is the absolute worst radio I believe I have ever heard.

I miss the greats of years past who had the privilege of sitting in the chair that Larry Glick originated. This is a sad ending, nay, a travesty to a wonderful trail of mega-hosts.

WBZ, please come to your senses & get this horrid woman off the air. There is a reason that she has had, what, ten radio gigs in the last seven years?

She’s long worn out her welcome at WBZ. Please. Leave. Now.

September 13, 2013 at 10:51 am
(13) Guest says:

There are people who listen to the radio who know what it takes to be a good talk show host and then there are folks who just enjoy the train wreck as it passes through the airwaves five nights a week. It doesn’t matter to Jen whether or not she is prepared. It ‘s much more important to Jen that people understand her, appreciate her and call her program for no other reason than to hear themselves talk. Her callers do not expect her to be opinionated, smart, funny, or well informed but they do expect a platform to share their tragic life events, possibly their affection for her or an outlandish opinion about something nonsensical. During the “overnight” she will slurp her coffee, clear her throat, and bring new meaning to “ground hog day” because she is absolutely, positively without insight.

September 23, 2013 at 9:35 am
(14) CBC says:

I agree that the few people who left positive comments here cannot be taken seriously. Brien is pretty much a ditz and therefore a truly shocking choice for a major radio station like WBZ. The dull and sometimes depressing callers reflect her inability to engage thoughtful topics with intelligence. Even lighter topics are barely discussed with any wit. It used to be that the callers were half the fun and interest with the previous hosts. Not anymore. Her show has dumbed down the midnight gig at WBZ and this is NOT what loyal listeners expect from a powerhouse station like WBZand we are letting the management know it.

September 23, 2013 at 4:08 pm
(15) Susan says:

I totally agree that WBZ made a huge mistake in giving Jen Brien the overnight broadcast. So unprofessional and unfair with her one-sided political opinions, and annoying with her weird verbal sounds and choppy sentences. She thinks she’s an authority on everything, even things she’s never experienced herself. Very disappointing that this broadcast wasn’t given to or shared by Bradley Jay and Morgan White, Jr.

September 25, 2013 at 7:42 pm
(16) CBC says:

Why is it that whenever a forum appears anywhere on a radio related website and provides comments which are thoughtful and intelligently critical of the completely unprofessional quality of Jen Brien’s “Show” they are eventually removed or disabled? Why is that and who is responsible for shutting down what is obviously a growing call to action to have WBZ management take a better look at what they are foisting on the loyal listeners to the midweek overnight shows? I find it very curious and I wonder what’s behind it?

September 27, 2013 at 12:14 am
(17) Sandra says:

Loved wbz for 40 years, can not stand to listen to Jenn she is not intelligent or interesting as past host, please get a new host or hostess

September 30, 2013 at 11:19 pm
(18) Anonymous says:

Jen is refreshing and NEVER BORING!!!!

October 3, 2013 at 11:08 pm
(19) Scott says:

Jen Brien Show is the best thing to hit Boston radio in years….

October 5, 2013 at 1:10 am
(20) Richard Lunt says:

Shame on WBZ Newsradio 1030 for getting rid of the Jen Brien show. She is an intelligent talk show host who I can relate to. She listens to all points of view with respect. She is what WBZ needed.

October 6, 2013 at 2:36 am
(21) Eric Blair says:

WBZ made the right decision in removing Jen Brien from the M-F overnight slot. For anyone with a brain who knows, understands the history of, and appreciates good talk radio, she is a complete disaster as an on-air personality. Unfortunately, her simple-minded fans are coming out of the woodwork, whipped up by her Facebook page, to barrage WBZ with demands to reinstate her. Lets hope that sanity and good taste prevail and she remains off WBZ.

October 7, 2013 at 1:16 pm
(22) David C says:

Jen Brien was a good replacement now she’s gone do not put Bradley Jay in causes he’s horrible and rude!As for a new replacement Morgan White Jr is the next best thing.

October 10, 2013 at 5:55 am
(23) Tom Lentine says:

I am very disapointed that you have cancelled the Jen Brien Show. I am not going to listen to the WBZ morning show anymore

November 17, 2013 at 10:19 pm
(24) Joe Gorman says:

I have discovered a conspiracy behind the termination of Jen brien,I am a warrior who will not stop until I win.Jen lifted me and I’m sure many others up and I don’t care for Bradley Jay.He was previously dispensed in small doses and I will see to it that it returns to that.I was bullied by his producer Mark a few days ago after a routine call in.I’ve been on many times and was.blown away by the behavior,then Peter Casey treated me with more of the same.This week I am going to get a face to face meeting with Peter Casey’s boss/V.P. because he was a coward and refused to have one.STAY TUNED .CORPORATIONS NEED TO BE HONEST WITH their customers.This week I will also be contacting wbz’s Advertisers.