1. Computing
Corey Deitz

Salt Lake City's 101.9 'The End' Becomes 'the New 101.9'

By April 23, 2010

KENZ-FM/Salt Lake City has slashed staff and moved to a music-intensive format. The station fired morning man, Jimmy Chunga along with other on-air personalities. According to the Salt Lake City Pge One Examiner: "Citadel Broadcasting, owner of KENZ-FM, has decided to change programming to an automatic music format. Radio listeners, who tuned in this morning, heard the new tagline: 'The new 101.9; music for Generation X.' Reportedly, the station's decline in ratings was a factor in the decision."

Chunga had been with the station since 1996. Citadel owns 243 radio stations in the U.S.

Related: Why Did My Favorite Radio Station Change Format?

Comments
April 23, 2010 at 6:37 pm
(1) River and Ann says:

The music is horrible we tried to get used to it and could not; there is too much rap and the rest is horrible I cant believe they fired chunga, he was the heart of the show, we always started the day listening to him we will never listen to the station again, and im sure the other listeners agree. Now we are searching for a new station, but nothing we find will be able to replace chunga.

April 23, 2010 at 7:16 pm
(2) Alicia says:

River and Ann said it all………….TOTALLY agree My mornings rocked listeneing to Chunga in the morning. I’ve already deleted it off of my preset.

April 23, 2010 at 9:01 pm
(3) Cam says:

I used to never change the dial. I only had one pre-set programmed so if I bumped it, I could quickly get it back to 101.9. I stopped listening when they fired Mister. It was all downhill from there. Sounds like Chunga got what was coming to him.

April 23, 2010 at 11:30 pm
(4) Kristin says:

Hate the change. I won’t listen to this station anymore. So sad!

April 24, 2010 at 2:12 pm
(5) d says:

all chunga was just all too much.

April 26, 2010 at 10:24 am
(6) Molly says:

There are a dozen stations that play the crap they have been broadcastin. The morning show and music they used to play are what was unique and set them apart from everyone else.

The decline was not due to the station format, less people are just listening to radio overall.

To bad they have gone to S#I* like all the other radio out there……wont be listening to this station anymore. I will become another ipod listener on my way to work.

April 27, 2010 at 7:27 am
(7) Mr. Dana W. Carlson says:

Yeah, I would like to comment with regard to all the cheap shots directed towards my generation. It’s about time someone paid attention to us again after being ignored for the better half of the decade. This pompous moralizing about “this station playing this crap” gets really old after a while.

April 27, 2010 at 9:53 am
(8) rb says:

The station had lost its edge over the past couple of years. Chunga was always good, but when Mister West left, it wasn’t the same. The two had a good chem and Court just didn’t have the same appeal and Mister. Ever since he left, ratings have been declining.

Chunga also became more and more arrogant and I found it difficult to keep listening to him. I remember having been out of town for several weeks on business and returning and listening, thinking, is that the same guy? I think he started to put off listeners.

April 28, 2010 at 11:08 am
(9) Teresa says:

Totally agree with River and Ann. I feel like I am missing some part of my life. I am going to keep scanning other radio stations to hear if chunga pops up on another station.

April 28, 2010 at 6:44 pm
(10) kris says:

listen to x96 radio from hell….they are musch funnier! and music throughout the rest of the day is much better

April 29, 2010 at 5:02 pm
(11) SledHead says:

Hey, Chunga may have had (or still does) an attitude but man he cracked me up and told it how it was. Now my choices the goofy Coach and John Carter show or the religious Grant and Amanda onKSL News? Whatever the case, the new format on 101.9 blows. Way too much RAP crap!

April 30, 2010 at 12:37 pm
(12) Simone says:

The new format is atrocious. Who wants to listen to old rap, hits from the 80′s,90′s – this is NOT “Generation X”. It’s what all of the other stations play. It was the saving grace of Salt Lake City – to have a decent alternative radio station. I just can’t listen to this station anymore – a shame. Deleted off my presets. Listening now to NPR or connecting to Pandora.

April 30, 2010 at 1:47 pm
(13) adidas says:

First of all, how old are all of you? Because if you were old enough to even have an opinion about the new change you would appreciate the old music that you dont hear anymore. No other radio station plays this.. I think it’s awesome. I know a ton more of my friends that have switched over.. so as many people that’s leaving.. dont worry your not hurting their ratings.. all you leave.. and ur just being replaced by new listeners. You shouldn’t have an opinion about it if you were born after 1985 period!

May 2, 2010 at 12:05 pm
(14) deetee says:

“New 101.9″ is worse than “New Coke”. I’ve had enough of “Funky Cold Medina” and “I Like Big Buttz” in the last week to last a lifetime! Never was much of a Chunga fan, so that’s no real loss there. I will miss the great mix of alternative music and the live End Zone performances. Too bad they couldn’t make the finances work any more. I guess my iPod & I will become exclusive now.

May 3, 2010 at 7:47 pm
(15) mw says:

I miss Chunga! His show was the thing I listened to every morning driving to work, and the station really had a personality that was unique to Utah. I will admit, though, that when Marcus (remember him?) was fired the show never was quite the same. I used to wish they’d play old recordings of Chunga with Marcus. I always thought those two had the best chemistry of all.

I had family visiting from out of town last week who couldn’t believe the station had changed. They used to look forward to listening to The End when they came to UT, and would comment all the time about how they wished they had something like that in the state where they lived.

Radio will never be the same again. I hate the Macarena!!! The new music stinks. I liked the fact that The End would try out new things all the time – can’t remember how many visiting artists would comment how The End was the first to play their music. I miss them.

May 4, 2010 at 1:25 am
(16) Ron says:

Glad they finally got rid of the end. Chunga sucked!!!! Much better now.

May 4, 2010 at 8:39 am
(17) Eric says:

I have to agree with what everyone else is saying. I was suprised to turn on the radio in the morning and not hear the Chunga show. The new music selection is absolutely terrible. I won’t be listening to this station anymore.

May 6, 2010 at 10:11 am
(18) Generation X says:

I love this radio station…finally a station that plays good music…especially music from the 90′s…real rap, not the junk we here today…thanks

May 11, 2010 at 1:01 am
(19) Mary says:

Chunga is an arrogant, self centered, liposuctioned fake loser. It’s about time karma came around and bit him on the butt. Don’t feel too bad for him people.. he isn’t what you think.

May 12, 2010 at 12:28 pm
(20) Kenny J says:

I remember when all these songs first came out and I thought they sucked then. I wasn’t the biggest Chunga fan but there is no replacement for all the acoustic end zone performances lost. I can’t stand the new new format. I grew up with all these songs and most of them should have been left for dead. Who really mixes rap with Ricky Martin?

They are trying to please everyone and end up pleasing no one. Utah should mourn the loss of their best station.

May 17, 2010 at 1:07 am
(21) nikki says:

I love it It plays so much stuff that i hadnt heard in years if you dont like it the listen to something else

September 15, 2010 at 5:20 pm
(22) jules says:

I stopped listening after Mister left. Chunga was just to full of himself. Not sad he got the shaft like so many others on the station. He contributed to most of them being fired or leaving. He thought he was the radio dj god.

February 8, 2011 at 9:56 am
(23) TJ says:

The old format is BACK!! WOOHOOO!

July 17, 2012 at 12:34 pm
(24) Joe Haigh says:

101.9 FM news was the best thing to happen to radio news in the last 25 years. LOVED IT!! would have likely drawn huge numbers of listeners and advertisers away from the am news stations. The last thing FM needed is one more ” alternative rock” station. You’ve got to be kidding. COME ON!!!… Whoever decided to do this should be let go. Very poor decision. What could you be thinking????

August 16, 2013 at 10:38 pm
(25) Mike says:

I’ve enjoyed listening to Chunga. I really enjoyed it when Tysen was on with him. Loved it with Mister. Chunga is a great talent. I am sure he has a wide selection of career choices. Radio stations do this all the time. I remember 97.1ZHT use to be 94.9ZHT, and before that Hot94.9 and way way way back it was Hot95 (before digital sets, yes I’m that old). My point is, we don’t like change naturally, but we adapt and grow. I think Cumulus will do great with Bob & Tom in the mornings. I hope they put Tysen on air somewhere. That guy is a dedicated hard worker.

August 18, 2013 at 5:36 am
(26) Kristi says:

So sad! Will miss the music and the fun morning show!

August 19, 2013 at 6:52 pm
(27) chuck carrick says:

dang wake up to find you morning talk show gone no warning or anything