1. Computing
Corey Deitz

Audionow: 'Listen to Any Radio Station on Any Phone Free'

By December 28, 2009

That's the claim from Audionow.com, currently in BETA. A visitor to radio.about.com tipped me off and wrote, "A few months ago a friend turned me on to Audionow that let's me listen to radio by calling a number at the station. I use it all the time instead of the apps on my Iphone from different stations. It is easier and more stable."

The Audionow.com website describes what it does this way: "The company's proprietary protected technology is the product of years of research and design. Our systems convert virtually any audio format available on the Internet and streams that connect to the AudioNow gateway server which then relays that stream to any phone listener."

You must register for the service and the company will ask for your name, phone number, email, and cell phone provider. You'll also have to agree to the terms of service. I read through the terms of service and they appear to be fairly straight-forward. Let me know if it works for you.

To register, go to this page at www.audionow.com.
For the homepage of the website, go this page at www.audionow.com.

More: Getting the Radio You Want on Your iPhone, BlackBerry, iPod Touch, and Android

Comments
January 4, 2010 at 12:45 am
(1) charles says:

i went to the link to sign up….the page simply stated you are not llowed direct access to this site.
the other page was for broadcasters to sign up…not the listener………i was unable to navigate from that page to a listener page.

January 5, 2010 at 2:05 pm
(2) Louise DeTolve says:

I had the same experience…only for broadcasters to sign up and denied access for other URL.

February 2, 2010 at 3:02 pm
(3) jimfromearth says:

what happended to audionow? i had sign up ;ast year with another phone but i cannot sign up again? only for broadcasters?

February 1, 2011 at 8:44 pm
(4) Biggy says:

It’s even worst now, I hve my two favorite stations that wont work and they asking me for a calling card. I dk if its them or MetroPCS playing games….

June 22, 2011 at 7:19 pm
(5) Jeffrey says:

AudioNow works really well. As a listener, you don’t need to sign up with anyone. What *is* important is that you discover the telephone number for the broadcaster to whose content you wish to listen. Often this can be done by visiting the web site of the broadcaster, where there will be information regarding its registration with AudioNow. Otherwise, you can go to the AudioNow site and find a partial list of broadcasters utilizing the service.

As I’m a big fan of WTOP in Washington, D.C., as well as the BBC World Service, I was delighted to discover that both broadcasters employ AudioNow. Now I can listen to these broadcasts at work, where audio streaming over the employer’s Internet connection is prohibited.

October 24, 2012 at 3:27 pm
(6) Becky says:

That would be MetroPCS . They are notorious for blocking numbers that generate a lot of traffic. Hopefully their merger with T-Mobile made a difference. Has anyone noticed an improvement with MetroPCS in the past few weeks?