1. Computing
Corey Deitz

Terry "Motormouth" Young Keeps Top 40 Legends Alive on XM Satellite Radio

By October 23, 2006

From QCtimes.net: "In a windowless studio in the vast techno-complex known as XM Satellite Radio, Terry “Motormouth” Young each week transforms 60s on 6 — XM’s channel of hits from a pop music heyday — into a real live Top 40 station from that era. Weaving together tape-recorded snippets found in listeners’ attics, on eBay or in the possession of the nation’s obsessive subculture of radio-jingle collectors, Young captures the sound and spirit of the AM stations that once dominated American popular culture as hardly any phenomenon has in the four decades since." More of this story...

Hardware: XM Satellite Radio Hardware and Receiver Product Tour

Related Stories From the Archives
* XM Radios '60 Stream More Than Just Music
* Wolfman Jack: A Top 40 Pioneer
* Calling All Listeners and Staff of Q105/Tampa During Its Top 40 Glory Days

Listen: Top 40 - Pop Music Online

What Happened On This Day in Radio History: October 23

Comments
September 27, 2007 at 3:51 pm
(1) r nissim says:

i can’t listen to motormouths show because something awful happens every day. every time he opens his mouth words come out.

February 13, 2009 at 1:35 pm
(2) John Fullerton says:

Problem with Terry young is has speak’s to low so you can hradly make out what he saying at record intro.

February 19, 2009 at 10:25 am
(3) jerry murphy says:

Terry Young is likely the most talented DJ I ever knew. He brings back a sound and memory of times when Kennedy was alive, long hair was the worst fear parents had regarding the pop stars. I subscribed for life to XM based on Terry Young and the great radio stations of the 60′s era. I am sure it’s a budget thing that brought an end to Motormouths radio station recreation, but a true 60′s music lover would want the DJ talent and station breaks that made the 60′s on six possible. Luckily I recorded some of those Terry Young radio station recreations and maybe I will just listen to those recordings and attempt to get my $500 back from an XM that fails to deliver what brought me to the big bird in the sky in the first place. Maybe someone should send this comment to the CEO.
Long live real radio and those that made it real!

August 11, 2009 at 12:21 am
(4) Dr Dr Thayer says:

Terry hired me at WTIX, New Orleans.
Now I own WZPH, 96.7 fm, The Zephyr in Zephyrhills, FL, USA, Earth, Milky Way, playing a world record ONE MILLION songs in row–oldies rock ‘n’ roll mostly from the 1960′s. Click on the icon “Listen Online” at wzphfm.com
And email me for a shoutout: DocThayer@gmail.com

May 9, 2011 at 9:53 pm
(5) Joe Miller says:

Terry Reminds me of the DJ’s we actually had in the 60′s and 70′s. Cool cat’s that new what they were talking about when it came to the vibe, the sound and the culture of 1960′s happenings. The guy is just 100% fun. He’s definitely my favorite DJ. I knew he was the real deal when he said ‘The Shangri-Las’ were the Zenith of all 1960′s girl groups,that is so true!!, I also love it when he goes off on his ex-wife and girlfriends. Keep up the good work. Your friend, Joe Miller.

May 24, 2011 at 7:35 pm
(6) Arlene Mercil says:

I wish I could listen to Terry’s show ALL DAY, every day.

October 20, 2011 at 10:05 pm
(7) phyllis says:

i wish terry would stop the bashing of his ex marriage and wife i get sick of listening to it grow up already no one wants to hear it just play the music if you didn’t want her you shouldn’t of maried her or what ever happened you sound like a child

March 13, 2012 at 12:51 am
(8) David Quistberg says:

He’s great, keep doing what he’s doing

March 29, 2013 at 7:44 pm
(9) Greg says:

Love listening to Terry. Reminds me of KB’s ( wkbw – if you didn’t know ) legendary Jackson Armstrong.

He has that sound f pride that all those east coast power house AM stations had back in the 60′s.

May 9, 2013 at 10:57 pm
(10) harold says:

Terry’s fantastic. I also like his jokes. Keep rockin.

September 1, 2013 at 11:44 pm
(11) Eric Ochs says:

Where id Terry now he is not on the 60s on 6.

September 1, 2013 at 11:46 pm
(12) Eric Ochs says:

So why don’t anybody answer where is Terry Young now.

November 29, 2013 at 2:58 pm
(13) BOBBY GUIDRY says:

I USED TO HEAR TERRY ON SIRIUS60S ON 6 BUT HAVEN’T HEARD
HIM ON IT IN A LONG TIME.. I USED TO TALK TO HIM OCCASSIONALY. WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU TERRY. YOUR FRIEND. CONSTABLE GUIDRY

February 7, 2014 at 10:32 am
(14) Eric Ochs says:

So what happen to Terry Young no one can answer that question and where is he.